Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Raiders, are you crazy?

Earlier today, the Raiders made a gigantic trade, sending their next two first round draft picks for Carson Palmer of the Bengals. I found out as soon as I turned on the TV at 4:00 this afternoon. My first reaction was a fist pump and a loud "Yes!" And then I saw what they had given up for Palmer...

A 2012 first round pick and a 2013 second round pick that could become a first round pick if the Raiders win a playoff game this season. That is a steep price to play for a quarterback past his prime. I understand that the Raiders were desperate for a quarterback after Jason Campbell's injury on Sunday, but two 1st rounders? The Raiders don't have a pick until the sixth round in 2012.

I don't think I've ever heard of such a lopsided trade for a quarterback. Earlier this year, the Cardinals traded for Kevin Kolb, a young up-and-coming QB, and gave up a pro-bowler in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a 2nd rounder to Philly. The Cards gave up about the same as the Raiders, but they got in return a young new quarterback, plus they got him in the offseason, where they could teach him the system. In Palmer, the Raiders get a 31 year old quarterback and the general consensus is that Palmer's best days are behind him. I certainly hope he can contribute immediately but there sure will be some complications.



That being said, Palmer's numbers are up there with some of the better quarterbacks in the NFL. The Raiders do solve this season's quarterback issue. They also bring in an experienced quarterback, who could eventually become Terrelle Pryor's mentor. The Raiders, with Palmer, have a legitimate shot to make the playoffs this year.

The only thing is, if they win a playoff game, they will be paying the Bengals two first round picks. Yes, desperate times call for desperate measures, but the desperate measures here are absolutely crazy.

Who knows how this will turn out. Prove me wrong, Raiders. But if they don't, I'm going to be staring at the draft board next year licking my chops at all the prospects the Raiders will not have a chance to get.

What do you think of the Palmer trade?

No comments:

Post a Comment